9/11: Criminal Incompetence and Ass-Covering by the Bush Administration
14 Facts Which Show Criminal Negligence and Ass-Covering
On this eleventh anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks, we would like to take a look back at what went wrong.
While the Bush administration tried to make its response to 9/11 its crowning achievement, the truth is that they acted with criminal incompetence and ass-covering.
(1) The U.S. is at least partly responsible for creating Al Qaeda.Â For example, Jimmy Carterâ€™sÂ National Security Adviser admittedÂ on CNN that weÂ organized and supported Bin Laden and the other originators of â€śAl Qaedaâ€ť in the 1970sÂ to fight the Soviets.
Professor of strategy at the Naval War College and former National Security Agency intelligence analyst and counterintelligence officer John R. Schindler documents,Â the U.S. supported Bin Laden and other Al Qaeda terrorists in Bosnia.
(2) The chair of the 9/11 Commission said thatÂ the attack was preventable.Â It is thoroughly-documented that an attack such as 9/11 wasÂ entirely foreseeable.Â Specifically,Â Al Qaeda flying planes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon was something which American military and intelligence services â€“ and our allies â€“Â knew could happen.
(3) U.S. intelligence services have repeatedly infiltrated Al Qaeda and related groups, but then idiotically failed to stop them.Â For example â€“ asÂ the New York Times,Â CBS NewsÂ and others reported â€“ the FBI informant involved in the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center begged the FBI to substitute fake bomb power for real explosives, but his FBI handler moronically let real explosives be used.
Similarly â€“ as reported byÂ Newsweek, theÂ New York TimesÂ and others â€“ an FBI informant hosted and rented a room to 2 of the 9/11 hijackers while they were in the U.S., but then stupidly failed to stop them.
Indeed, former counter-terrorism boss Richard ClarkeÂ theorizesÂ that top CIA brass tried to recruit the hijackers and turn them to our side, but were unsuccessful. And â€“ when they realized had failed â€“ they covered up their tracks so that the FBI would not investigate their illegal CIA activities , â€śmalfeasance and misfeasanceâ€ť, on U.S. soil.
In other words, our intelligence servicesâ€™ attempts to infiltrate and work with people inside of terrorist cells was horribly botched; and they did a horrible job of stopping terrorist attacks once they were set in motion.
(4) Dick Cheney was in charge of all of Americaâ€™s counter-terrorism exercises, activities and responses on 9/11. SeeÂ this Department of State announcementÂ andÂ this CNN article.Â As such, at least part of the blame for failing to stop the attacks is on his shoulders.
(5) The Energy Task Force chaired by Dick CheneyÂ prior to 9/11Â collectedÂ maps of Iraqi oil, Saudi and United Arab Emerates fields and potential suitors for that oil. And you might have heard that theÂ oil bigsÂ attended the Task Force meetings.
According to the New Yorker â€“ aÂ secret documentÂ written by the National Security Council (NSC) on February 3, 2001 directed NSC staff to cooperate fully withÂ the Energy Task Force as it considered the â€śmeldingâ€ť of two seemingly unrelated areas of policy:
â€śThe review of operational policies towards rogue states,â€ť such as Iraq, and â€śactions regarding the capture of new and existing oil and gas fieldsâ€ť.
It is difficult to brush off Cheneyâ€™s Energy Task Forceâ€™s examination of arab oil maps as a harmless comparison of American energy policy with known oil reserves because the NSC explicitly linked the Task Force, oil, and regime change.
The above-linked New Yorker article quotes a former senior director for Russian, Ukrainian, and Eurasian affairs at the NSC said:
If this little group was discussing geostrategic plans for oil, it puts the issue of war in the context of the captains of the oil industry sitting down with Cheney and laying grand, global plans.
See alsoÂ this essay.
Is that why idiot Cheney â€“ the guy in charge of all terror protection efforts before and on 9/11 â€“ failed to effectively respond to 9/11 with normal air defense?Â Was he too busy pining over Iraqi oil maps to pay any attention?
(6)Â The military â€“ under the idiot Vice Presidentâ€™s command that day â€“ didnâ€™t scramble enough fighter jets, and then scrambled jets far over the Atlantic Ocean, in what Senator Mark DaytonÂ called:
The most gross incompetence and dereliction of responsibility and negligence that Iâ€™ve ever, under those extreme circumstances, witnessed in the public sector.
Cheney â€“ and the other people in charge of anti-terror response that day â€“ screwed up big time.
But just like the bank CEOs who are rewarded for causing the financial crisis by being given bailouts and subsidies and breaks, the military and intelligence officials who dropped the ball that day have beenÂ promoted. As TimeÂ reported:
They have basically promoted the exact same people who have presided over the â€¦ failure,â€ť says a former Justice Department official, â€śand those individuals took the same thinking with them.
As the Washington Post reported, no one from theÂ Â CIA, FBI or NSAÂ has been reprimanded, punished, or fired for the events of 9/11.
The same is true for the military personnel on watch that day. For example, General Myers, who was Acting Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff on September 11th, was quicklyÂ confirmed as ChairmanÂ two weeks later. General Ralph Eberhart, Commander in Chief of NORAD at the time of the attack, wasÂ promoted to head the new â€śNorthern Commandâ€ťÂ a year after the attack.
Just as with the financial crisis, no one has been punished, and the people who screwed up have been allowed to fail upwards.
(7) On the day of 9/11, Vice President Dick CheneyÂ initiated Continuity of Government Plans that ended Americaâ€™s constitutional form of governmentÂ (at least for some undetermined period of time.)
On that same day, a national state of emergency was declared â€¦Â and that state of emergency has continuously been in effectÂ up to today. â€¦ even though U.S. military and intelligence officials say that the threat from Al Qaeda is now almost entirely non-existent.
(8) Many of the draconian â€śnational security programsâ€ť â€“ such as the Patriot Act, spying on Americans and indefinite detention â€“ overtly approved after 9/11 had actually been implemented or plannedÂ beforeÂ 9/11.Â September 11th was used as an excuse to ramp up these programs.
These programs were approved during the Bush administration â€¦ but were never terminated by the Obama administration.Â In fact, while Obama is a nicer and smarter guy than Bush, top constitutional law professors say that Obama has actuallyÂ expandedÂ these programs.
(9)Â The Bush administration immediatelyÂ used the 9/11 attacksÂ as an excuse to carry outÂ decades-old neoconservative plansÂ to implement regime change throughout the Middle East and North Africa.Â And seeÂ this,
(10) The Bush administrationÂ pretended that Saddam Hussein had a hand in 9/11 â€¦Â one of the twoÂ main justificationsÂ for that war.
(11) Allegedly,Â Â Saddam offered to leave Iraq â€“ and the Taliban offered to turn over Bin LadenÂ - in order to prevent U.S. invasion.Â But the U.S. turned down the offers and invaded anyway.
We canâ€™t get the bad guys using peaceful means, now can we?Â We have a war to fight!
(12) In contrast, other governments thatÂ might actually have sponsored the attacksÂ have been let off scot-free â€¦ and have even been given huge amounts of financial support.
(13) As the 9/11 Commission itself notes, as part of its ass-covering efforts, the Bush administration engaged inÂ criminal obstruction of justice.
There are numerous examples of obstruction of justice into the 9/11 investigation, including:
- The chairs of both the 9/11 Commission and the Official Congressional Inquiry into 9/11Â saidÂ that Soviet-style government â€śmindersâ€ť obstructed the investigation into 9/11 by intimidating witnesses
- The 9/11 CommissionersÂ concludedÂ that officials from the Pentagon lied to the Commission, and considered recommending criminal charges for such false statements
- The tape of interviews of air traffic controllers on-duty on 9/11 was intentionally destroyed by crushing the cassette by hand, cutting the tape into little pieces, and then dropping the pieces in different trash cans around the buildingÂ as shown by this NY Times article (summary version is free; full version is pay-per-view)Â and byÂ this article from the Chicago Sun-Times
- As reported byÂ ACLU,Â FireDogLake,Â RawStoryÂ and many others, declassified documents shows that Senior Bush administration officials sternly cautioned the 9/11 Commission against probing too deeply into the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001
Moreover, the CIAÂ videotaped the interrogation of 9/11 suspects, falsely told the 9/11 Commission that there were no videotapes or other records of the interrogations, and then illegally destroyed all of the tapes and transcripts of the interrogations.
9/11 Commission co-chairs Thomas Keane and Lee HamiltonÂ wrote:
Those who knew about those videotapes â€” and did not tell us about them â€” obstructed our investigation.